top of page

Rod Licence

When do I need a Rod Licence?

You need a valid rod licence if you are aged 13 or over and fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish, smelt or eel in Wales, England (except the river Tweed) and the Border Esk region of Scotland.

  • Junior licences (age 13-16) are now FREE but you must register

  • Senior (aged 65 or older) and disabled concessions are available (see below)

You can get a disabled licence if you’ve got a Blue Badge, or you get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

You must always carry your rod licence when you’re fishing or you could be prosecuted and fined up to £2,500.

How do I buy a Rod Licence?

At a Post Office

By Phone - Call the Environment Agency on 0344 8005386 (Charges may apply)

Fishing Boots
Image by Stepan Ivanov

How much does it cost?

Find out more on the Natural Resources Wales website

bottom of page